Sunday, January 6, 2013

January 6, 2013

January 6, 2013
-->
I’ve arrived in in Costa Rica! What a beautiful country! Palm trees sway in the gentle breeze, and the sun shines gloriously. The ocean glistens, and the slow-rolling barrels of the waves beckon the surfers. Locals greet me pleasantly with a "Buenas Dias."  I respond in the same friendly manner, but immediately I wish I had visited Senor Mauser and Senora Cambara’s Spanish classes more frequently before I left!

I’m waiting in Tamarindo in the Guanacaste Province in the northwestern portion of the country. This sleepy town is 15 minutes from Playa Grande, my ultimate destination.  Playa Grande is one of the most important remaining nesting beaches in the world for leatherback sea turtles. Here, scientists conduct studies on the behavior, physiology, genetics, and migration patterns of these endangered giants. My rendezvous with my Earthwatch team occurs this afternoon at the Goldring Marine Biology Field Station in Playa Grande. I’m very anxious to learn what the scientists do on a daily (and nightly) basis and what they have learned.

22 comments:

  1. Yeah! Glad to hear you are there and are ready to learn more about this project. The National Geographic site that you suggested is full of wonderful information. I will be sharing it with the children tomorrow. Now to find more stuff . . .
    Love ya,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made it!!! We are studying the turtles here at home to be ready to talk later this week. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan,
    Can't believe you are there already. HDS students and I can't wait learn about the leathernecks from you. I will use the materials you provided with the kids. Have a great time!
    -JP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mr. Rimlinger! I know your Earthwatch experience will be just as great!

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to hearing about your exciting adventure. Save the turtles!!!

    Mr. Peters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mr. Peters! The biologist down here are working very hard to do just that....

      Delete
  5. Hi Mrs. Johnson, it is Audrey Nourse, it is exciting that you are in Costa Rica with the leatherback sea turtles. I read about them, their nesting habits, and the fact that they are one of the most ancient living reptiles. They are also the most endangered of all turtles and it is sad that they are being killed by the fishermen.

    -Audrey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Audrey,

      Thank you very much for your post. I appreciate it! Have you seen a sea turtle before?

      Sincerely,
      Mrs. Johnson

      Delete
  6. Dear Mrs. Johnson,

    Hello from Mrs. Graham's class! We have been learning about the leatherback turtles today. We hope you can see a turtle tonight.

    Sincerely,
    2-G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello 2-G!

      Thank you very much for your post. What do you all find the most interesting part about leatherbacks?

      Sincerely,
      Mrs. Johnson

      Delete
  7. Hi Mrs Johnson, it's Paige C. It is very exciting that you are in Costa Rica helping the leatherbacks. We read about them in literature yesterday. They are really interesting! I'm glad that you can help them! We can't wait to see pictures!
    -Paige Czepiel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paige,

      Thanks so much for your post! I posted some pictures on my post for today. Unfortunately, we can't take pictures at night when we are working with the turtles because the light from the flash disrupts them. However, I got some photos from the biologist that I will post soon.
      Take care,
      Mrs. Johnson

      Delete
  8. Hi there!

    I posted some pictures today. Unfortunately, we can't take pictures of the turtles at night because the flash disrupts them, but I got some photos from the biologist that I will post soon!

    Thanks,
    Mrs. Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes! The red lights do not disrupt the sea turtles, whereas "normal" artificial light does. If there is artificial light near the beach, this prevents the leatherbacks from coming onto the beach at night to lay eggs. Also, when the eggs hatch, the hatchlings depend on the natural reflection of the ocean to "guide" them towards the water. The artificial lights produced by houses, cars, buildings, and people confuse them, and they can't find the ocean. As a result, these confused hatchlings don't survive. Playa Grande is a national park, so there is very little development. Hence, the beach is very dark at night, which allows the turtles to do what they do naturally. Thanks for your response!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mrs. Johnson, it's Matt. How big was the biggest sea turtle you and your Earth Watch team have seen so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matt!

      The biggest that I've seen is about 5 feet long. They are massive in width, too. I've never been so close to such a big wild animal in nature before!

      Thanks for your question!
      Mrs. Johnson

      Delete
  11. Hi Mrs. Johnson, It's Ryan Shean,

    I think that it is very cool that you get to observe and study these turtles. Over winter break, I went to Kauai and went snorkeling with the Hawaiian Sea Turtles. I liked to observe the way that they acted while I was in the water with them. Do leatherback turtles also like to live near the shore, where they can be examined by snorkelers and scuba divers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ryan,

      What a great experience you had! The leatherbacks stay in the general area during the three months of their nesting season. However, the rest of the year, they migrate in deeper waters down to the Galapagos Islands off the coast of Ecuador. I'll ask a biologist about their interactions with snorkelers and scuba divers for you tomorrow, too, because I'm not sure exactly. Great question! Thanks!

      Delete
  12. Hi Mrs. Johnson...It's your Advisory writing to you. We have just finished looking at your amazing photos and reading about your exciting time in Costa Rica...especially your adventure in the early hours of the morning. We can't wait to Skype with you very soon!
    XO Matthew, Aidan, Drake, Carter, Wyatt, Ella, Morgan and Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for commenting!

      I miss you all, and I hope you have started 2013 well. I look forward to seeing you all soon!

      Mrs. Johnson

      Delete