Yesterday afternoon, we went with two of the biologists, Jen
and Rachel, to excavate a leatherback nest that hatched two days ago. Two days
allows enough time for any stragglers to emerge from the nest. The scientists
dig up the nests to learn more about the nesting process.
Happy news first met us when Jen started excavating. A
single hatchling made it to the surface! Upon further digging, she found one
more live hatchling. Jen carefully placed these two hatchlings in a bucket to
take back to the field station. A team will release them later at night when
the chances of birds not eating them is greater than if they had made their way
to the sea at that moment.
Further excavation continued. Jen dug to the bottom of the
egg chamber to find the egg shells and unhatched eggs. She and Rachel then
broke open the unhatched eggs to identify the developmental stage of the egg, if any. They analyze these unborn eggs in hopes of predicting nesting
patterns and to see if any bacteria infected the nest. On average, only about half of
the eggs actually hatch from a nest. This is quite a messy project – and stinky if any nests had
been inundated with bacteria or maggots! To be a biologist means rolling up
your sleeves and getting dirty!




Mrs. Johnson,
ReplyDeleteWe are enjoying your blog, especially the pictures from your expeditions. We LOVED the one with the hatchling in the bucket!
Good luck with the leatherbacks,
Ms. Leshinsky's advisory
(Artsy Fartsies)
Thanks for the message gals!
DeleteHi Mrs. Johnson! We miss you! I loved when you showed us the baby turtle on Skype. You're blog is so cool! Did you take the pictures of the nest? I can't wait for you to tell us about them! :)<3
ReplyDeleteHi Jessica, Morgan, and Bella,
ReplyDeleteThanks for your message. Yes, I did take these of the nests. It was very cool to see the little hatchlings pop out of the sand!
Take care,
Mrs. Johnson
Dear Mrs. Johnson,
ReplyDeleteYour trip sound like so much fun. You keep a great blog, and we all enjoyed skyping with you today. I thought that the baby leatherback was adorable, but I was surprised about how large its from arms were compared to its body. I guess that would certainly help it swim thirty miles per hour. I was wondering how the turtles' stomachs protect themselves from the tentacles of the jellyfish they eat. I cant't wait for your return and to hear all about your experiences with the leatherbacks and all of the biologists. Costa Rica sounds amazing.
Say hi to some turtles from me,
Summer Christensen
Hi Mrs. Johnson! Those baby leather backs are so tiny how much do they weigh!? I cannot wait to hear all the stories when you get back!
ReplyDelete-Brett Super