My nighttime turtle watch last night could not be matched! I
went out with a young biologist, Jacob, whom I like to call the “Turtle Whisperer.” Not too long after we started, we got
word from the neighboring group that a leatherback nest had hatched, and the
hatchlings were headed for the ocean. We hustled over to see this. The extra
effort was worth it; hatchlings never cease to be adorable. Being that they are
only about 1-2 inches, they are all flipper. And, they are literally bite size.
One can see how easy a target for predators they are. Scientists approximate that
only 1 in 1000 hatchlings makes it to a full, mature leatherback.
Shortly thereafter on our patrol, we stumbled upon an olive
ridley nest that hatched. We noted it, and kept moving. After another hour, we
got word from the park ranger on the walkie-talkie that a leatherback had made
it to the beach. Finally!
My heart thumped extra hard as we raced to her location. The
park ranger and a large group of tourists were already at the scene. Jacob and
I waded through the tourist mob, and he assessed that she was digging her egg
chamber. He handed me the egg clicker and the thermal wire,
and he instructed me to lie behind her. I lay on my stomach, directly behind
her back flippers and watched in awe as she dug. Up close, I could see how
incredibly powerful her flippers were, as she gracefully placed one hind
flipper in the hole and scooped up the sand to dig deeper. Then, she
rhythmically placed the alternate flipper in the hole and did the same thing.
After the hole was deep enough, she placed her left hind flipper over the hole.
This was my cue that she was about to nest. I moved the flipper to the side and
waited.
Suddenly, 1-2-3, the eggs started coming! I concentrated and
clicked as I counted these billiard size balls. The swarms of tourists stepped
on me as they struggled to see what I had a front row view of. I placed the
thermal wire for later temperature readings in the nest. 20-21-22, eggs counted.
Jacob methodically and professionally performed his duties: he scanned her tag
and confirmed she was a returning turtle; he measured her; he noted any scars; and
he documented her location. 46-47-48, I kept clicking. I worried I was bothering
her during this process, but Jacob assured me leatherbacks go into a “trance”
when they lay eggs and she is not even aware of us. 63-64-65. My hand shook
from holding back the flipper. Then, suddenly the eggs stopped dropping. We
stepped back, and she began filling in the hole with sand. Incredible!
We left the beach as she was finishing her nest to make sure
we didn’t miss any more turtles. Not more than a few hundred yards, we found
more leatherback tracks! Another had come to shore, and she was already laying
her eggs! We rushed to get measurements and placed a wire in the nest. Success!
At approximately 2:00 a.m., we found another leatherback and performed the same process. This time I was much more comfortable with the giant on
the sand, and I knew what to do. A third leatherback on one night! I truly felt
the brilliant stars in the sky were aligned for me!
We wrapped up the data collection and headed home. Arriving
back to the field station at 3:00 a.m. made this my latest night yet, but also
the most memorable!
The hatchlings that you saw today will be released tonight, when there are not as many birds around to hunt for them. The hatchlings that are found during the excavations or during the day are always released that night.
ReplyDeleteHello Mrs. Johnson It's Aidan
ReplyDeleteI was wondering how many sea turtles have you seen